So, It was Girls in ICT Day on Thursday, 26th April 2018, Modern Business Team went to Best International School, New Karu – a suburb close to Abuja in Nasarawa State to share with the Girls, create awareness and Inspire the Girls
Did we Achieve that? Well, let’s share and you be the judge!
- They had never heard of Girls in ICT Day
- They know what ICT is, but didn’t realise that some great woman like Mother Angelica started EWTN.
- They also got to know some women behind some inventions/technologies like:
- THE FOOT-PEDAL TRASH CAN – Lillian Gilbreth 1900
- WINDSHIELD WIPERS – Mary Anderson 1903
- THE DISHWASHER – Josephine Cochrane 1886
- SUBMARINE TELESCOPE AND LAMP – Sarah Mather 1845
- PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES (compiler, COBOL, the term: “bug” and “debugging) – Grace Hopper 1944 , 1959
- WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS – Austrian actress Hedy Lamarr
The Girls Speak
If all 52 girls were given the chance to speak, they would have, because they were exited, inspired, bubbling with ideas and felt they too could be inventors, engineers, scientist and also overcome the phobia some of them have for Mathematics and Sciences. Here is what a few said:
Faith Obadiah -” I don’t like the pollution I see daily by cars, I would to invent a clean and safe solar car”
Aisha Isa – “I want to make microwave ovens that are safe”
Titilayo Ayemoni – ” I think it must be tiring for teachers to keep writing on blackboards; how about some keyboard-device they could just type on, and it appears on the board”
Susan Akinloye – “I will Start a Girls Club to create more awareness”
Amongst other questions a girl asked:
- “How does a person start inventing? I have something to invent but don’t know how to go about”
What does Tomorrow Hold?
Out of 52 girls from JSS3 to SSS3 only 8 are in sciences. But Today more have been inspired consider Sciences and ICT!!
And we know with the right tools, environment, encouragement and mentoring more girls will pursue Careers in ICT and STEM Fields.
#GirlsinICTDay, #GirlsinICT, #ModernBusiness, @ModernBizNg, @ITU